Sunday, April 19, 2015

Eggplant Chinese Curry {vegan}

I have to say, that this week was a real eggplant week, but I can't complain about it because it was really tasty. While in fact, if it wasn't for my husband, eggplant would visit my kitchen less frequently, but as he just loves it - I cook it :) and I always have to come up with something new, so we won't get bored of eating our usual eggplant meals as eggplant in tomato sauce. This time, inspired by Nida Recipe, I made Chinese eggplant and I must say that was very delicious :)





In the past, when I jus had started my culinary journey, I had been following the recipes very carefully, I measured each teaspoon of spices and if I hadn't something at home, I always had ran to the shop to buy things I needed, so my meal would be as it should be by that recipe. :) but now, after several years of practice, I can finally allow myself to experiment and usually I come up with even more delicious variations! So don't be afraid to add something you think will suit this recipe, or change products with something you have.



You will need:
  • 1 eggplant
  • salt for eggplant marinate
  • vegetable oil
  • 0.5 tsp curry
  • 1 carrot, cut into small strips
  • 1 small red onion
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
  • 3-4 tbsp brown sugar (or other sweetener)
  • 0.5 tsp of corn starch mixed with 0.25 cup of water
  • 2 cloves of garlic

Cooking method:
  1. Cut eggplant into cubes, sprinkle with salt and leave for 30 minutes to extract the bitterness.
  2. Then pour out the resulting water and wash all the salt of the eggplant.
  3. Heat few tablespoons of oil in a pan on medium heat, when the oil is hot add curry spices and cook for a few seconds and add the eggplant cubes. Cook on medium heat for 10-20 minutes. If necessary, add some more oil and don't forget to stir regularly. Cover the pan with a lid, so eggplant will be cooked faster.
  4. Remove the eggplant cubes, drain grease with paper towel.
  5. If there's no oil remain in the pan, pour a little bit of it and wait a few moments until it heats up, add the carrot straws, fry for few minutes, still stirring.
  6. Pour the sliced onions and grated garlic, cook for a couple of minutes.
  7. Pour the sugar, stir and pour all the liquid, let it cook for a few minutes.
  8. Eat with rice and salad :)



Love,
Viktorija

No comments:

Post a Comment